Press Release: Dr Pete Thomond listed as one of HSJ’s most innovative people in healthcare
Clever Together are delighted to announce that one of their founders Dr Peter Thomond is on the Health Service Journal 2014 list of the most innovative people in healthcare.
This evening, Health Service Journal (HSJ) announced its 2014 list of the most innovative people in healthcare, run in partnership with Bird & Bird. Around 80 innovators and guests attended a private reception to network and celebrate their success.
The list celebrates those working in the NHS and the wider healthcare sector who have taken innovative approaches that make a tangible difference to patients, their colleagues or wider society.
HSJ invited readers to name those they thought our judges should consider. Nominations were accepted both via Twitter and via hsj.co.uk. A panel of expert judges were asked review the long list and add suggestions of their own. The judges worked around some broad criteria: significance, or how big the problem solved has been; impact, or what difference the innovation has made and to what extent it has worked to change things; and support, or how the innovation has fostered and led to other innovation and how it has given inspiration to others.
50 individuals from across the spectrum of healthcare have made the list, including one of Clever Together's founders Dr Pete Thomond.
One of those who nominated him said: "Pete recognises that in a world where all organisations need to do more with less, it is essential that the power of the crowd is used to better effect."
The judges said: "He's created a system which isn't just a platform where people can share good ideas. It's also possible to get a sense of what are seen as the 'best' ideas, and who the opinion leaders are."
The reception was hosted by Alastair McLellan, Editor of HSJ and he said "Our list, we're pleased to say, is diverse, encompassing everything from top-flight clinicians at the leading edge of their research fields through to frontline staff, patients, managers and simply free-thinking spirits, from within and outside the NHS, who have brought their imagination and creativity to bear. It shows how, for all the NHS can be at times big, unwieldy and bureaucratic, it should be applauded for still allowing space for innovation and "blue sky" thinking. We hope you enjoy – and are inspired by – our 50".
Dr Pete Thomond said "I am delighted that the work we do at Clever Together is being recognised by HSJ and its panel of experts. I wouldn't have this recognition without the amazing team at Clever Together and the brave clients who commission us. Their commitment to making real change for their people, by listening to and acting upon direct staff and stakeholder feedback, instead of hiring traditional consultants, makes them inspirational."
The judges on the panel were as follows:
- Robert Bentley Consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon, King’s College Hospital Foundation Trust
- Helen Bevan Chief transformation officer, NHS Improving Quality
- Dominic Cook Lead, healthcare group, Bird & Bird
- Professor Maxine Craig Head of organisation development, South Tees Hospitals Foundation Trust
- Kevin Dean Managing director, Smart Health Science and director, Genomics England
- Emma Doyle Head of open data and transparency, NHS England
- Patrick Geoghegan Former chief executive, South Essex Partnership University Foundation Trust
- Paul Hodgkin Founder, Patient Opinion
- Dr Kerri Jones Consultant anaesthetist and associate medical director for innovation and improvement, South Devon Healthcare Foundation Trust
- Alastair McLellan Editor, HSJ (chair)
- Dr Sandip Mitra Consultant nephrologist, Central Manchester University Hospitals Foundation Trust
Congratulations to everyone who made the list.